Friday, July 25, 2008

Why do cats knead?

If you have ever watched a cat knead (usually your stomach) you will notice the content, loving expression on their face. But why do cats do this? When a cat kneads, he is in touch with his kitten instincts as kittens knead their mother’s nipples to stimulate the “let down” reflex so that her milk will flow for the kitten to suckle on. This is why your cat will appear very relaxed and contented when he is kneading you. This process gives your cat a feeling of comfort and warmth, which is why they usually lay down and take a nap afterwards.

If kneading is uncomfortable for you, you may want to keep an extra towel around to give you a little extra padding when your cat feels the need to knead.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our cat does this to my husband all the time!

Anonymous said...

I have a 5 yr. old tabby that does this to me during the night...He always has to have my upper arm and when he's done, I have to hold him...Makes for a sleepless night but a very cuddly one...I just love it when he does this....

Anonymous said...

My cat Rockstar does this to his blanket every night before he falls asleep. His blanket is located at the foot of my bed but he really does not knead at any other time during the day so I guess this means it is his way of showing he is ready to sleep.

Anonymous said...

I have Lupus w/unbearable pancreatic pain. I had been trying to master medtation as a form of pain control but just couldn't 'get it'. My Birman , PeeWee knows to stay off the pancreas area & one day after he fell asleep with his purr box atop my chest (a chakra) I was able to reach that level that I needed. The swami who'd been coaching me was quite amused. Feline healing has no limits. Amanda

Anonymous said...

My cat mayson often "kneads" me...I find it as comforting as I hope he does...He often purrs very loudly whrn doing so...I just love to hear that sound...

Anonymous said...

Love cats ! Absolutely true story...I had a cat years ago that would go to wherever on my body I had pain or injury, such as bruised or pulled muscles, sprains, etc., and knead that area. It was unbelievable, but true. I do home improvements and would get strained or lightly injured often and this unique cat would knead those spots every time. I had to get witnesses to prove this and they were amazed as I am. My current cat has started doing it on my abdomen when I go to bed. I think it's cause he knows I would like to loose a little weight there. Or , just plain content as has been indicated. Unless.....hope I don't have cancer in there!